I’m only going to come upwardly out as well as tell that I convey no sentiment how authentic these empanadas are. (I’m guessing non at all.) I’ve never had a existent empanada (which is terribly sad, of course), but what I tin tell close these detail empanadas is that they are incredibly delicious! H5N1 tasty as well as flavorful cheesy chicken filling stuffed into homemade pastry dough as well as baked until golden – what to a greater extent than could you lot want? We had these every bit a low-cal dinner amongst a side salad, but I squall back they would too brand perfect petty appetizers for a party. This pastry recipe is ane of my favorites because it’s basically foolproof. I similar that the pastry gets its wet from cream cheese as well as butter instead of H2O ice water, which way there’s no fine tuning involved. The filling mixture is super slowly to seat together every bit well, as well as is hence skillful that I wanted to swallow it on crackers. Authentic or no, I’m definitely going to proceed making as well as enjoying these empanadas!
for the crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
pinch of salt
8 tablespoons butter, diced
8 ounces cream cheese, cold, cutting into pieces
for the filling:
2 cups cooked shredded or chopped chicken (I used rotisserie)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 loving cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 loving cup enchilada sauce
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded as well as finely diced (optional)
1 egg, beaten
- To brand the crust, whisk together the flour, sugar, as well as salt.
- Cut inwards the butter using a pastry blender or 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix inwards the cream cheese until a dough forms.
- Knead until smooth. Wrap the dough inwards plastic roll as well as chill xxx minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line 2 baking sheets amongst parchment newspaper as well as laid aside.
- Roll out the dough as well as cutting it into large circles (I used a iii 7/8 inch biscuit cutter, but you lot could purpose a small-scale bowl instead).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, enchilada sauce, as well as jalapeño.
- Place a tablespoon-sized scoop of filling on each of the circles of dough, as well as plication the edges together.
- Crimp the edges amongst a fork or twist them together to seal the dough.
- Place on the prepared baking sheets as well as cutting a slit inwards the occur of each empanada, or pierce each amongst a fork a few times.
- Brush each empanada amongst the beaten egg.
- Bake inwards preheated oven 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.